Friday, March 12, 2010

The Census, how will you self identify?















The 2010 Census is coming in the next few days. It will be very important for everyone to be counted. The alleged rift between the Blacks and Browns of America needs to be addressed. For those who know me, I often say, "Yo soy boriqua paque tu lo sepa" which translates to I am Puerto-Rican and you know it. It will be important to Latinos, who do not identify as "White" to acknowledged that you are Black and Latino. As of this date, there are approximately one million Latinos, in America, who identify as Afro-Latino. In order for more resources to be funneled into minority communities, the number of minorities must be counted accurately. For those of my students who this applies , please do your homework and decided how you will self identify. Please look at the posted link for added information. Remember, we are all in this together. One Love, One Race. Peace.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I received my census today and actually had to think about that. Although Puerto Ricans can identify with being Afro-Latino we are a mixed race of people from Europe, Spain, Africans (slaves of the Spaniards) and native Taino Indians who lived on the island known as Borinquen before it became Puerto Rico. This contributes to our wonderful "sancocho" (stew) of people of all hues. I proudly listed myself as black as I still do not know enough about my "Indian" and/or "European, Spaniard" roots to be able to identify myself as being that particular race. And since "sancocho" or "not exactly sure" isn't listed as a race, I would rather be counted with the people I know for sure I am a part of and can identify with than those I am not. Peace be with you. cg7304

DC0109 said...

The dilemma for me is in the fact that my skin color is "white" but I don't consider myself "white". I want to stand up and be counted alongside my aunts, uncles, and grandparents, who are all "of color". As I strive to learn more about my culture and the history of my people (Cuban/Puerto Rican) I often find my skin color to be an issue of frustration. I enjoy being part of the rainbow that is Latin America, but I don't enjoy that in the U.S. I'm considered "white". I think the frustration is mainly in the fact that many people of color don't to consider me one of them. Its racial bastardization.

Anonymous said...

Jn 8831
Professor I agree with you. Hopefully the President can help all the individuals living in the United States. Knowing how difficult this may be.Hopefully something can be done.

Gera5393 said...

I also agree. People need to know who they are. I know that I'm black and so proud. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Im just tired of being labeled period!..who cares if your black, spanish, chinese. Its just too much emphasis on this, we are all in America, lets just be good people and live as one. SJC 1687

Tucker0669 said...

It is very impotant for people to know who they are. No one should be labeled, we all should come as one, and live positive. It shoudnt matter where u come from, just know that we are all humans.