Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Brick City: Real or imagined?














The City of Newark is getting some truly remarkable news coverage, but for all the wrong reasons. I watched tonight's second installment of "Brick City" on the Sundance channel. I expected to see the blight and distress that many inner cities go through, and that murders are being committed often enough that people are afraid to walk the streets. However, what I saw were a few individuals attempting to make it seem like Newark is on the rebound, and its citizens are going to be the recipients of all its success. Noting could be further from the truth. The fact that many of these businesses coming into Newark are there to take advantage of those that chose to stay, during the good and bad times, speaks volumes of exploitation. Amiri Baraka put everything in its proper perspective when he called out Mayor Cory Booker for his disingenuous acts. I will reserve judgment until I am able to watch the rest of the installments, but from what I have seen so far, it does not say much for how the people are going to prosper.


Update: I watched the third installment and was impressed with Ras Baraka and Todd Warren. I appreciate the love and respect that they show for the students at Central High School. The rest of the political posturing is sickening. I understand why the average person dislikes politicians and the police. I will wait for the fourth installment tonight.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to pass any type of judgment about brick city,but my only wish is that it work for the better, and in favor of the people of NJ,specially those of Newark.
JS7920

Anonymous said...

Certainly, it is a way to encourage businesses and investors. There are many advantages this can be to the city, as well disadvantages. A.A.2467

Lani said...

I've only lived here for three years and I think it's improving. I'm not very active in affairs of the city or even politics, but if someone asked that's what I would say. I live in the downtown area and there are so many new businesses that are trying to involve college students in a variety of ways. But I guess only time will tell. lc1736

Anonymous said...

I think brick city is a good show and it really lets the citizens of newark know that the cops are really cracking down on the crime that goes on... 3013

Anonymous said...

Darnell The Brick City documentary I hope will be a huge success for the city of Newark. It touches on everything in the city that doesn't sit well the police officers and the people of the city. I have been a Newark resident for some time now and is yet to notice any change in our justice system. I often find myself dreaming about a city in which I am proud to be a resident of, but wake up to the reality that Newark is one of the most violent cities in the country. And young black males such as myself often seem to be the target in such hideous crimes.

Anonymous said...

thats what i am talking about. we need a community policing in Newark. so that the community can feel safe during the day and night. those businesses will benefit Newark. but also they can be disadvantage to newark aswell.

Anonymous said...

i've looked in everywhere for this series and failed to watch any! i had heard it was worth watching...mp9504

Anonymous said...

I have lived in Newark all my life and the documentary was good. Growing up in the projects I have witness and seen things such as shooting, bodies laying outside. It's hard trying to live in a place such as Newark. It's hard raising children and not enough of police are out here to protect us. I worry about my kids each and every day when they are outside because the kids today are not like the kids back in my days. We fought with our hands so that we can live to fight another day. Today we have young people going to jail just over a few words said to them. THey are only words. It's not worth taking someone's else life. Now they will have to spend the rest of their lives in prison or something petty. Nobody is even going to remember even if they come out. The children have it rough growing up out here that is why I am so over protective of my children. It's sad that you can't even sit outside your home and enjoy a peaceful day without gun shooting or fight interrupting. People today are loosing their minds.

Arbubaker-1221
CJI-102