Monday, August 3, 2009

IN THIS CORNER!


















If any of you have been watching "Black in America II" you may have been introduced to Dr. Steve Perry, principal of a charter school in Connecticut. I was taken by his motivation to assist young people. Men like him should be commended for their efforts to save our young people. I learned that Dr. Perry is also the author of "Man Up: No one is coming to save us." The title intrigued me, so I purchased it. After reading the first couple of chapters, it was apparent that Dr.Perry attacked those individuals who have been wreaking havoc on most inner cities. He spares no one's feeling and if you remotely resemble anyone that he speaks about, I highly recommend not buying the book. Half way through, I started to get a bit upset, not because he was telling the truth, rather he did not provide any concrete examples on how to save those individuals he disparages. It is reminiscent of what Dr. Bill Cosby is accused of doing. Not surprising, he cites Dr. Cosby as one of his mentors.


My question is why is it so easy for "prominent" Black people to talk down to the less fortunate? I don't claim to be an apologist, as Dr. Perry accuses Dr. Michael Eric Dyson of being; however, I can feel a little compassion for those who find it difficult to overcome personal struggle. In fairness to Dr. Perry, I will finish the book, but I don' think his views will change. If you get an opportunity, read his book and please respond.

5 comments:

Roger L. Johnson said...

My dear friend, I viewed the first installment of "Black In America", I didn't watch the second installment. I am a bit sick of the "what's wrong with black people syndrome and other foolishness!"
Why is it always; "let's view the pathology within the black community", as if pathologies don't exist within other communities.

I had mixed emotions as I recall concerning Dr. Perry in the first installment. I was impressed with his credential and zeal to help the students under his charge. However, I found many of his statements to be accusatory and nothing short of finger pointing. It is okay to discuss things which are wrong, however, you must also provide a solution and/or direction to pursue and move forward in a positive direction.

Dr. Perry provides no novel approach to the educational process. There have been many other black principals who have used the tough love and no nonsense approach to educating their students. A few come to mind, Dr. Joe Clark (Paterson Eastside High School in Paterson, N.J.) of "Lean on Me" fame, the late Dr. Frank Mickens (Boys & Girls High School in Brooklyn, N.Y.) and many others. What is Dr. Perry's claim to fame? That he's following in the footsteps of other visionaries? That he accepted federal funds to run a chart school?

Chart schools are not the answer to the problems which exist within the black community. They are restrictive, because space is limited and not all deserving and qualified students gain entry. In closing, chart schools aid in the deterioration of the public school system. My solution would be to fix and/or completely overhaul the public school system. Update the school facilities, hire qualified teachers and make them accountable for the success of their students.

Lastly, remove all political motivations out of the public school system. It was once a fabulous system whereby millions upon millions received quality education and it can be virtuous again.

Anonymous said...

Although I have not read this book it does sound interesting because it bothers me so much when people do not want to take the reigns of their own lives. I may pick up a copy. Even though I did not read it there seems to be an idea from the opinions that he does not give solution or ideas to problems. I say good because folks need to start coming up with their own ideas. wcg

Anonymous said...

I never read the book also but, after i read those commments about the book ,i have a little bit of understanding about what is the issue in that book that, people are talking about. for me pointing at what the author think that is causing problem but, not giving any solution or any personal opinion on how to change and makes thing better is, like take a microphone in talk in the wasteland .however i understand that every one have an obligation to improve life,by making some critical thinking about how to change or progressing their own lives.still an honest opinion or subjection from the author on how to makes thing better would be at least support by some reader no matter what . so i would like to read that book.JS 7920

Lani said...

I've never read the book but I think this is an ongoing trend that "the less fortunate" are so easily sympathized for. I don't know exactly the kind of tone Dr. Perry has in the book but if he's trying to get a point across I'm sure I can guess. I don't think it's something to dwell on and to discourage "the less fortunate" but it is so easy to forget how they more than likely became "less fortunate" and how easy it is to become "less fortunate." LC1736

Anonymous said...

I never read the book promise I will n.t 3580